The eyebrow serve a very practical function by keeping sweat and debris away from your eye. They also serve as a crucial means of communication that many people do not even realize. The eyebrows help display a wide array of emotions from fear and anger to joy and excitement.
As we age, our eyebrows tend to sag and droop which can have a drastic effect on facial balance. Undergoing an eyebrow lift in Charlotte is a relatively minor procedure that can have lasting results for years to come.
Like many questions regarding the longevity of procedures completed at Carolina Facial Plastics the answer depends on many factors. In this blog, I am going to review the factors that affect the longevity of the browlift and who is a candidate for a brow lift.
A patient’s health is a critical piece in determining how long a brow lift will last. A patient in excellent health who takes care of their body and skin can expect their brow lift to last longer than patients that do not take good care of themselves. Here are a few key points to keep in mind when thinking about improving your overall health and wellness and ensuring the results will last.
- Avoid Sun damage– Everyday our skin is exposed to harmful ultraviolet rays that pass through our atmosphere. UV light causes damage our skin resulting in fine lines, wrinkles, loss of collagen and elastic tissue. All of these changes will act against the changes resulting from a browlift Limiting your exposure to UV light and applying sunscreen on a regular basis can help ensure the skin remains firm, smooth, and healthy.
- Avoid Smoking– It is a well documented that smoking has negative effects on our skin. Smoking accelerates the skins aging process and has been shown to cause premature wrinkles and facial drooping. Smoking will work against the beneficial results of a browlift.
- Diet and Exercise– Diet and exercise are not only crucial components to a happy and healthy life but they are also major factors in your skins appearance and health. A healthy diet and regular exercise can lead to much firmer, healthier looking and feeling skin.
- Moisturize Skin– Keeping your skin moisturized is keeping it happy. Moisturizers can help the appearance and health of your skin by combating dryness, improving skin texture and balancing skin tone.
- Stay Hydrated– Our bodies are made up of more than sixty percent water. It is important for our health to stay hydrated and to avoid dehydrating drinks such as soda or alcohol in excess.
- Stay Rested and Avoid Stress– Much of our outward appearance can be attributed to how we feel on the inside. By getting a good nights sleep and trying to take some of the stressors out of our lives we can see a drastic improvement in our bodies overall look and our skins health.
Genetic factors are aspects that cannot be controlled by the patient. Some of the genetic factors to take a look at when determining the longevity of a brow lift are listed below:
Skin Thickness– A patient with thicker skin on their brow region will experience more sagging due to the skins weight and the pressure that the skin is under. The other side of this is that skin that is thinner has a tendency to be more prone to wrinkling. It is easier to lift thinner skin and thinner skinned patients. Both of these factors are qualities to consider when understanding the longevity of a brow lift.
- Skin Elasticity– The factors discussed above in the health section are not the only influencers in your skins elasticity. Some patients simply have less elastic skin. The less elastic the skin, the more drooping of the eyebrow a patient will tend to have.
Types of Brow Lifts
There are a variety of different types of brow that I perform at Carolina Facial Plastics. The common browlifts I perform are:
- Endoscopic Browlift
- Minimally Invasive 1 cm Browlift
Each of these procedures are designed for different goals. An endoscopic browlift is designed for patients with heavier brows that require more aggressive brow lifting. During an endoscopic browlift, 5 incisions are made in the hairline and the brow is anchored down the hard bone. A minimally invasive 1cm browlift is best for patients that need a little lift or arch to the brow. During this procedure, a small incision is made just at the upper end of the eyebrow, and the fat and muscle of the eyebrow is lifted with a stitch. It is an elegant procedure with less downtime and risk.
Who is a Candidate for a Browlift?
As you age you might begin to notice your brows sagging or that they appear more horizontal to your eyes than before. A brow lift candidate can be
- A patient must be in great health to undergo a procedure
- A patient that is unhappy with his or her brows appearance.
- A patient with sagging or low eyebrows that may create a sad or tired appearance
- A patient who has excess skin or fatty tissue sagging over the eyes.
How Long Does an Eyebrow Lift Last?
As in most questions in medicine, there is not a simple answer. In my opinion, the results of a browlift will last forever. Let me explain. After the browlift is completed, the eyebrows will be in a better position and the eyes will have an improved appearance. After healing has occurred, the aging process will start again. Since the patient had an eyebrow lift, the eyes will always look better than if they never had the surgery even if they have some drooping of the eyebrows overtime.
How Do I Make a Consultation for to Discuss Browlift Options?
If you would like more information regarding a Browlift in Charlotte, please call (704) 842-3644 or fill out the online contact form to schedule a consultation with facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Jonathan Kulbersh.