Male facial plastic surgery and nonsurgical procedures have dramatically increased in popularity and frequency in Charlotte and throughout the country. The growing popularity of cosmetic procedures has increased secondary to the general acceptance of these types of procedures for male patients and the excellent results patients are experiencing.
The facial plastic surgery community has a better understanding of the unique aesthetics of male facial features than other fields. Both surgical and nonsurgical procedures are now aimed to ensure a result that is both natural and masculine.
The term “natural results” can have a different meaning depending on the doctor and the practices. At Carolina Facial Plastics in Charlotte, a natural result exhibits the following qualities:
- Enhancement of the natural facial features
- The results are visible to the patient but unrecognizable by a stranger
Maintaining proper facial proportions and balance is imperative for ensuring that male patients achieve excellent results from any facial plastic surgery treatments. Male patients commonly ask why some patients look unnatural after a facial plastic surgery procedure and the overwhelming reason for unnatural looking results is the masculine balance and proportion of the face was not maintained.
At Carolina Facial Plastics, I have studied and focused on the masculine features of the face to ensure my patients have great outcomes.
Common Male Facial Plastic Surgery and Nonsurgical Procedures
Male patients at my practice are commonly interested in the following procedures:
- Botox or Dysport
- Facial Dermal Fillers
- Medical Grade Skincare and Treatments
- Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty
- Facelifts and Neck lifts
- Chin Implants
- Neck Liposuction
- Custom Mandibular Implants
For these treatments, I will discuss the unique steps that I will take during each procedure to ensure a natural-looking result for my male patients.
Botox and Dysport for Men
Botox Cosmetic is the most common male facial plastic surgery procedure nationwide. In most cases, neuromodulator injections are universally tolerated by most patients and commonly used to smooth out deep lines and wrinkles of the face. It is used to smooth out the lines of the forehead, crow’s feet, and 11 lines, which are located between the eyes. There are two distinct points that doctors need to be aware of when treating male patients with Botox or Dysport, which are:
- The male facial musculature is stronger than the female facial muscles. For this reason, males require higher doses of Botox to achieve a great result. If a man does not get the appropriate dose, the treatment will not last.
- The position of the eyebrows can be easily changed depending on the placement of Botox into the face. For male patients, it is imperative to place Botox in a manner that prevents over-elevation of the eyebrows.
Dermal Fillers for Men
Dermal fillers are an excellent choice for men seeking either facial augmentation or a more youthful facial structure. In many cases, I treat males dramatically differently than females when it comes to using dermal fillers. For an inexperienced injector, it can be very easy to feminize a male face with facial injectables. Some of the common areas that males have facial fillers injected:
- During the aging process, males commonly become gaunt or overly skinny in the cheek region. I commonly inject the cheek region in males to correct this volume loss in the face. In males, I typically treat the lower part of the cheek compared to a female. In females, I focus on creating a high and defined cheek bone using dermal fillers. I do not want to create a higher cheek structure in a male face.
- A strong and angular chin and jawline are considered more masculine features. It is easy to augment the chin to create a more masculine face. In a male, I will make the chin more angular using dermal fillers compared to how I would treat a female patient.
- Male patients can develop deep smile lines and marionette lines over time. These can be easily corrected using dermal fillers.
- Fillers injected in the tear trough can effectively hide bags underneath the eyes in male patients.
The types of dermal fillers injected are the same for both men and women. As long as the patient is having an FDA approved dermal filler injected, the most important decision when choosing the type of filler is choosing an excellent injector. A skilled injector will help determine the best dermal injection to suit each patient’s needs and goals. Generally speaking, I believe males should choose a filer that is immediate, long lasting, and reversible, such as a hyaluronic acid filler.
Male Medical Grade Skincare
One of the most important steps a man can take to ensure that he ages gracefully and maintains his appearance is to take good care of his skin. The facial skin begins to degrade and age after 30 years of age due to hormone changes and sun exposure.
At Carolina Facial Plastics, we understand that males need a straightforward and effective treatment to maintain their facial skin. We recommend all men use medical grade products at home and undergo, as needed, facial skin care treatments at our office. The main difference in the choice of treatments for male facial skin is the presence of facial hair in men. Certain treatments may not be beneficial for males because they may cause the loss of facial hair. We have many facial treatments that are great choices for our male patients that do not interfere with hair growth and provide excellent rejuvenation.
There are certain features of the nose that can create either a masculine or feminine appearance. For these reasons, it is imperative that each rhinoplasty is customized to the individual and maintains a masculine appearance for male patients. This can be best explained during image morphing during a consultation. I will explain some key features that must be maintained in a male nose to prevent feminine results during a rhinoplasty procedure:
- The nasal dorsum along a man’s profile needs to maintain a strong appearance. A masculine nose would not typically have a scooped shape but, rather, a straight dorsum or a small bump on the dorsum from the profile view.
- A feminine nose typically has a slight upturn to it from the profile. The male nose should be more neutral on the profile.
- The width of the male nose should be slightly wider than a female nose.
There are key features of both the upper and lower eyelids that are unique to the male eyelid in comparison to the female eyelid. The key feature is the upper eyelid crease. The upper eyelid crease for a male must remain low after an upper blepharoplasty procedure. If this crease is created too high, it can feminize the male eyelid.
For a lower blepharoplasty, the goals for both the male and female are similar. In both a male and a female lower blepharoplasty, the lower eyelid should become a smooth transition point from the eyelashes to the cheek region. The bags or circles underneath the eyes should be removed. The fat repositioning lower blepharoplasty technique that I use is appropriate for both male and female patients. Some surgeons make incisions through the lower eyelid skin. I would not suggest this technique for males seeking rejuvenation of the lower eyelid area. This technique has the potential to cause a lower lid to change positions. For this reason, I recommend the majority of the surgery is done on the inside of the eyelid for male patients.
Male Facelifts and Neck Lifts
In all facelifts and neck lifts, the goal is to angulate and define the neck and jawline. This surgery is customized for all patients based on their age and their degree of skin laxity. One of the main differences in a face or neck lift between the sexes is the appearance of facial hair for the man. The incisions for a facelift are different in male patients to prevent moving the beard toward the ear or behind the ear. Additionally, the incisions must be placed in inconspicuous areas since most males have shorter hair. For these reasons, the incisions for all male facelifts and neck lifts are closed meticulously to prevent scarring.
Male Chin Implants
The aesthetics of the chin is different for men and women. When compared to a female chin, the male chin is more square and comes out farther from the face (increased projection). For these reasons, I commonly choose a differently shaped implant for male patients. The mandibular implants that I choose for males are typically larger and more square while female chin implants are smaller and more rounded.
Learn more about chin and jaw implants at WebMD.com.
Schedule a Consultation for Male Facial Plastic Procedures in Charlotte
The aesthetic differences between female and male faces are complex. I hope this webpage helps my male patients understand some key differences that I take into consideration while performing procedures. I am keenly aware that male patients want to see results while ensuring that their results remain masculine and natural-looking. I strongly believe male facial plastic procedures will continue to increase in popularity. I believe it is imperative that male patients understand that they need to seek a specialist that has experience and knowledge in treating male patients.
Dr. Kulbersh is a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon located in the Southpark region of Charlotte, North Carolina. If you would like to learn more about a facial plastic procedure please fill out the online form here or call (704) 323-5090.
Next, read Facelift Procedure